Friday, June 4, 2010

Sea Sponge Decor

Sea Sponges as decor
(photo by Pottery Barn)
Sponge Docks
Sea Sponge Vase


Waterfront Stores of Tarpon Springs

Just recently, I took a trip to the quaint city of Tarpon Springs, FL which is the largest Greek community in the U.S. It is notably famous for it's sponge docks and Greek cuisine, which I must say, was beyond delish! As I walked around the waterfront I was completely captivated by the thousands of sea sponges overflowing from baskets in every store, inside and out. Buckets full, nets full, even boats full! 

I'm sure it's hard to believe a lifeless sponge could be so intriguing, but there were many reasons for the admiration. First of all, I never knew there was such an industry as this. Sponge divers have spent decades of their life growing and harvesting these very affordable treasures. Then I begin to notice the abundant shapes, sizes, and uses for these sponges - wool, natural, soft. They even have sponges vases! All the while, my mind's eye was envisioning every possible way to incorporate these into my interior designs. So, as a designer, I have decorated spa-inspired bathrooms with sponge-filled glass jars (did Pottery Barn steal this idea from me??). As an amateur artist, I have used them for the perfect texture for oil and acrylic painting. And as a blogger, well, I just write about them to share the charismatic find with you. 

Natural Wool Sponge

1 comment:

  1. The sponge docks are amazing and your blog is fabulous! Congrats!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete